Express Office (in Person Only)
People born in Tennessee can now get their short form birth certificate at the county clerks office for $12.00. This service is only available if you were born in Tennessee on January 1, 1949 or after. You can download a copy of the application here.
Birth Certificates may be issued only to the following persons:
- Person named on the certificate
- Child of the registrant.
- Parent of the registrant if the parent is named on the certificate Special Note: Parents who have relinquished their parental rights do not have the legal right to the certificate.
- Spouse of the registrant.
- Person with legal custody of the registrant
- Legal representative of the registrant, spouse, parents, children, or legal gardian.
- Anyone who has a signed statement from the registrant or persons who can have a copy of the certificate authorizing issuance (should also present a copy of the authorizing person’s ID)
Identification Requirements, please have one of the following for our office:
- Signed and Notarized Application, no ID required.
- Actual Mother’s Copy from the past two calendar years when presented by a parent will not require additional identification orÂ notarization statement.
- Government Issued ID that shows signature.
- For students a recent school ID card
- if no ID is available, please have two of the following:
- Current pay stub of W2
- Vehicle registration with name and current address
- Voter Registration card
- Military Discharge (DD214)
- Utility bill, bank statement, or deposit slip with name and current address
- Heath care coverage card
- Medical record
- Application page of an insurance policy
- Signed Social Security Card
- For those people who have had their ID stolen, a copy of a police report of other official documents which supports the theft is needed.
Special note: short form Birth Certificates from 1950-1975 do not have parents names. If you need to have parents names on the birth certificate (required for passports) please contact the state Vital Records.