APPLICATION FOR DUPLICATE TITLES
A Duplicate Certificate of Title for a vehicle replaces a lost, stolen, mutilated or altered title. In the event a duplicate title is issued, the lost, stolen, mutilated or altered title becomes void and may not be used to transfer ownership or encumber the vehicle.
Our main office can print Duplicate Certificate of Titles instantly allowing customers to leave our office with a new title in hand. If applying at our branch locations, the Duplicate Certificate of Title will be mailed in 5-7 business days.
To apply in person please submit the following:
1. Payment of $11.00
2. Applicant’s government issued photo I.D.
3. Registration or Vehicle Identification Number, if available.
4. Proof of discharge of lien, if applicable.
5. The altered or mutilated title, if available.
6. A copy of the police report or notarized affidavit if the title was stolen.
7. A Notarized Power of Attorney*, if someone other than the owner/lienholder is applying.
*The power of attorney gives another person the authority to complete the transaction and sign the application for the owner. The power of attorney form must be completed in its entirety and must indicate the VIN of the vehicle. The individual with power of attorney may sign as power of attorney for the owner.
Please note that a Duplicate Certificate of Title will not be issued less than fifteen (15) business days from the date of issuance of the original title when the owner indicates the title was not received.
When a lien exists, only the lienholder can take possession of the title.
To apply by mail please submit all of the requirements described above with the following changes:
1. Check or money order for $13.00 made out to Davidson County Clerk’s Office.
2. A photocopy of applicant’s government issued photo I.D.
3. Certification for Duplicate Certificate of Title application completed in its entirety, if applying by mail.
4. Items 3 through 7 above, where applicable.