Green Parking Permit
If you drive a clean technology vehicle, a hybrid vehicle which uses both electric and gasoline engines for power, or a non-hybrid vehicle that gets very high gas mileage and has very low exhaust emissions, then you may be eligible for a Green Parking Permit.
- “Clean technology vehicle” means a vehicle rated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency with a minimum Environmental Performance Score for both Greenhouse Gas and Air Pollution of 7, and a total combined score of 16 or higher.
- A vehicle’s Environmental Performance Score can be determined by inputting the vehicle’s information into the Green Vehicle Guide. For model year (MY) 2013 and on, download the Green Vehicle Guide Datafile or input the vehicle’s information here and select the “Energy and Environment” tab.
- The Green Parking Permit provides free parking only at metered spaces located within the Downtown Central Business Improvement District, for the posted time limit on the meter.
- The cost of the permit is an annual fee of ten dollars ($10.00).
- You may purchase your Green Parking Permit at the Davidson County Clerk’s main office or at any of the 5 satellite offices.
- The permit is only available for private passenger vehicles and is valid for a period of one (1) year.
- The permit must be hung on the rearview mirror with the expiration date facing the windshield.
- Residents with Green Parking permits must adhere to all parking laws, including properly parking in metered spaces and parking no longer than meter limits. Green Parking permits are tied to vehicle VIN numbers and cannot be shared with another vehicle.
- Click here to download the application form.
NOT A CLEAN TECHNOLOGY VEHICLE? – CARBON OFFSET
- If your vehicle is not a Green Technology Vehicle you may still be able to obtain a Green Parking Permit by purchasing carbon offsets from a qualified local nonprofit organization.
- More information about qualified nonprofits, including how to become one, is available here.