Temporary Operating Permit
(Commonly referred to as a Temp Tag or Drive Out Tag)
If you are unable to apply for your vehicle’s registration, then under certain circumstances you may be able to obtain a temporary operating permit.
To apply for your Temporary Operating Permit please provide the following in person at our main office or one of our five satellite locations:
- Vehicle make, model, year, color, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and date of purchase (if applicable)
- Reason for applying
- title problems or not available for timely registration
- not ready to be tested for emissions
- Proof of ownership (title, title signed over, and/or notarized bill of sale and seller proof of ownership )
- One (1) photo identification containing a distinguishing number (TN Driver License), or two (2) other forms of identification.
- Completed and signed application (the applicant must attest that due to certain issues they are unable to obtain their registration) Click Here
In addition, please be aware of the following:
- There is a fee of $12.00
- For any extenuating or unusual circumstances please visit our main office only.
- If you have purchased your vehicle from a Tennessee dealer or a Tennessee Auction, you must return to your dealer for a Temporary Operating Permit. Our office cannot issue a permit for a new or used vehicle sold through an auction or dealership.
- You must be a Davidson County Resident. If not, then you must go to the county in which you reside or to the TN Department of Revenue. Click Here
- The vehicle must be registered to the person making application (Or the person applying must have power of attorney for the registered owner)
- Temporary Operating Permits CANNOT be issued on salvage vehicles.
- Temporary Operating Permits CANNOT be issued for failed Emmisions test.
- For additional information please contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue at (615) 741-3101. Click here to access Revenue office locations.